setTimeout(). These functions have been around since before the first ECMA specifications, so their implementations across browsers are largely non-standardized and inconsistent. I’ve noticed some problems with
setInterval(), particularly when it’s left in a background tab. See the issues and how to solve them
A few months ago I contacted Brian Cook, proprietor of one of the best sports blogs on the Internet, MGoBlog. A year or so earlier I had created a userscript that improved some functionality for his site, and I thought he might be interested in building some of that JS directly into the site so it would benefit every user. Instead we ended up discussing a few other projects, including an open-source alternative for the relatively expensive moderated liveblog systems the site uses for Michigan football gamedays. These are the results of that project so far. See the project
Tagged with: Ajax
, chat room
Posted in GitHub
, HTML & CSS
, Server Side Code
Dear Google Chrome: get better at web fonts. Seriously, this is bordering on unacceptable. This is a company that provides the fantastic Google Web Fonts service, and their own browser manages to render fonts worse than any browser I’ve ever used, including ancient IE. That’s right, I said it, on at least this one issue, Chrome is significantly worse than even Internet Explorer. Harsh but true. Some Workarounds
If you saw my post on SharePoint custom ribbon actions, you may have noticed the section where I had to lay out several options for jQuery’s persistent event handlers because I couldn’t know which version of jQuery the solution would be used with. Since I’ve written a few projects that are designed to be inserted into existing sites, I thought it would be a good idea to build a system to easily manage the graceful degradation of these handlers. How I did it
As part of the preparation for my upcoming wedding to a wonderful lady, I’m in charge of building our wedding website, which we’ve decided will handle all of our RSVPs. I’m still in the process of building the RSVP form for that site, maybe I’ll do a full post about it and all its features once it’s done. But this process did give me an idea to build a more universal and flexible web form, which could easily be plugged into any LAMP environment and used to push form responses to a database using Ajax. How I did it
I found this code a while ago, probably somewhere on Stack Overflow, and it’s served me well ever since. It returns a data object filled with the key-value pairs of the query string. Try it!
Number.prototype methods. Try it!